Monday, October 18, 2010

Command and conquer

I have bathed in the blood of sacrificial bulls, yet I have not found the answer to my question. What is the shape of the heart of man?

How do you conquer something that has no shape? How do you approach it, how do you encirle it, how do you starve it to the point it starts to feed on itself? How do you make it surrender? How can you even know when it surrenders, if it has no knees to fall down to?

I am the commander of my legions. I will conquer this land, even if I don't really know where I am. Because there is nothing else that I know but war. A child bred out of strife who grew up fighting demons and darkness and fear. A child at heart still, who will barge in and slash and maim and kill lest he stop and deal with his own fear of the dark.

The lesser kind are not my kind. Yet I still do not understand how to fight an enemy that you cannot describe. Subscribe. Always beating at an arms length, always close enough to hear, but too far to reach. A fist thumping in the chest of other mortals. Like myself.

I reach within me, I feel around my heart. It is bloody. Angry. Loud. Afraid. Soft. Scarred.

A half smile. Dawn brings another day filled with dirt and blood. A good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment