Sunday, January 2, 2011

Smile your different smiles for me

I think about you and your apple red cheeks and your curious sparkling eyes. I mostly think about you when you smile your different smiles, when you make me giddy with the tinniest twitch of your lips.
And how you glisten. Oh, how you glisten in the peeking sunlight.

She came one day, with strawberries in her hair and reached for the moon, jumping up and down, punishing the earth for not letting her fly. I sat on my branch and I smiled my all-knowing bitter smile. Inside I was mesmerized, spellbound by this new woman-child who came in stomping her feet and demanding everything. I froze in terror for a while.
Then I descended from my tree and studied the little creature who laughed and crinkled with each step she took. She had a silly dress made of bells, tiny bells sewn together for the sole purpose of never letting me sleep peacefully again. I snorted. This can't be it! She can't just waltz in and take over my world. I am Mighty Cat. She will obey my icy stare.
Just as I was about to go back to my place of wise ruling, small liquid diamonds appeared in her big brown eyes. And to my utter dismay, I found that I couldn't go back anymore. I turned around to the sound of her sniffles that threatened to tear holes into my heart. I let her pet me. She smiled.

That day I realized I would never love another more or even as much. I just cannot. It is a metaphysical impossibility. It involves apples.

No comments:

Post a Comment